Wednesday 3 June 2009

I Like France ... and I'm Staying!

By the time you read this Neil and Karen will be safely home but I on the other hand will still be in France. Heading north from Columbieres Sur Orb on the motorway Neil realised that my alternator had failed when I started to cough and splutter. He managed to guide me into a small village and the worst was confirmed. Not carrying a spare, the AA was contacted and allegedly found a garage who could find a part and repair me over the weekend.

Neil and Karen continued to Clermont-Farrand in a Peugeot 308 hire car to admire the art-deco architecture of the town and explore the Puy de Dôme and surrounding volcanoes. Unfortunately the AA's optimism of effecting a repair was misplaced and time ran out (the French lunch-break is sacred and seems to go on for most of the afternoon). Cue a hastily arranged flight home for Neil and Karen and repatriation for me.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Maybe just as well Neil didn't take you up the Puy de Dôme - I'd boiled my 410 by the time we'd climbed it a few years ago, after which my (now ex-)girlfriend drove down it with the handbrake on which didn't do the pads much good... Nice view at the top though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Poor old Bertie!

    Still at least its only the alternator. Fixed in no time!

    The question is did Karen secretly chear as she snuggled into the 308 and popped on the air con'?

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete